Wednesday, January 24, 2007

IT DOESN'T GET ANY MORE BORING THAN THIS...

The weather does not get any more boring than this. Boston received a whopping 0.6" of snow yesterday and the day before. That whopping 0.6" added to the 0.8" gives Boston a seasonal total of 1.4" for the entire season. Normally we should be in the ballpark of 19" to 20" by now. Is there any snowfall in the forecast? Well, there may be a flurry or two tomorrow night down on the South Coast, but other than that the next six days look totally devoid of snow for SNE. We will get cold on Friday with highs struggling to reach 10, but we will warm up back into the 20's and 30's, with more sun. This winter is taking last winter's awful themes to the extreme and totally destroy the hopes of any snowlover east of the Ohio Valley.

I don't think I have ever made a 5 - 6 day without any chance of precipitation. This is just totally crazy. It will feature winter cold, but just not look like winter. It will feel like winter for sure. I don't know what to tell you guys. I wish I could say that next week looks better for our prospects for a decent snowfall. However, I can't. Its just not in the cards. Next week will be another cold week with highs staying in the 20's mostly, but thats about it. There won't be any big storms across the entire country. I guess we SNE'ers can take solice in that we are not the only ones suffering from an extreme snow drought this season. In fact many in the lower 48, excluding the Southern Plains and Rockies States are in a major snow drought. Its not just us, but it feels like it. I'm doing everything in my power to change this dreadful theme of the snowless winter of 2006 - 2007 and have changed the font of the blog posts.

I hope we can do something fast to change this dry pattern as we are nearly into the month of February with just a little over 1" of snow for the entire winter. If not, this season may go down as one of the all - time least snowy BOS winters. Its just plain depressing. What happened to the forecasts in the fall calling for 125 - 150% of normal snowfall for this winter? I honestly don't know. If you do, let me know. My guess in the fall of 50" in BOS this winter looks to be way off and now I am saying that this winter will be more like the winter of '01-02 where we only saw about 15" of snow. We may even come close to the snowless winters in the early 70's where we picked up around 8" of snow for the entire winter. So, as you can tell...I am backing down from my earlier post of 50" of snow down to about 10-20" of snow for the winter. In a normal winter that may seem miniscual at best, but 10-20" this year looks great. That means we still have 9-19" more to fall this winter, in two months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ERIC- I'd take anything this winter, at this point.

I am going to be in Italy Feb 14 through the 23rd and it wouldn't surprise me if we get all of our snow in that 10 day period.